Monday, February 3, 2014

Reaction


Before class ended, we talked about the disappointment and misery humans feel after they realize that “sublime and beautiful” feelings are never permanent. After we feel happy and content, we are more aware and conscious of unavoidable despair. He describes this sense of unfulfilled expectations as normal and in accordance with the laws of nature.  Once humans feel deprived of enjoyment, we wants others to feel miserable with us like we can’t survive without the pain of others. We almost feel happy that we are suffering in a group. Although this is somewhat insulting and degrading to our self-esteems, I think that everyone knows this feeling. Personally, since I have a twin who will love me or have to deal with me no matter the range of fights we get into, I never bother hiding my feelings from her. We are used to getting compared and we find it self-fulfilling to fight with each other, even over issues that are unimportant like food recipes and clothes. The narrator never mentions his family or close friends, so he has to resort to strangers when he wants to degrade others around him. This makes him look a lot worse than my sister and I who constantly fight and make each other feel terrible.  

No comments:

Post a Comment