Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Final Post


            To be honest when we had to read the book on our own at our homes for homework, I completely hated it. I resented having to go read every night. Personally, I did not really understand what Dostoyevsky was trying to portray. Instead, I thought he was rambling and creating contradictions in an attempt to just mess with the reader. However, over the past three weeks, the discussions in class have actually made me appreciate this book more and more. Not only was the way that Dostoyevsky wrote the novel remarkable, but every single line can be analyzed in a different way and have life lessons that made everyone in the class think. One of my favorite things that the author talked about was the fact that our greatest advantage is that we have the ability to put ourselves in the face of danger even though we know that we might die from it. I think that I enjoyed this point because it is something that I can easily understand and relate to everyday as a high school senior. If you think about it he could have been referring to many tasks that I normally do such as wake boarding and going full speed on a jet ski, which he would perceive as being “dangerous”. Another part of the novel that caught my attention was the author’s point of view regarding being self conscious. I think that I enjoyed this because in my opinion everyone is self conscious and thinks about things in great detail. However, some might do it more than others and Dostoyevsky did a great job in showing how this might change one’s outlook on a situation. So to sum this up, after reading this book I know look at something things differently. I think that it was in fact a very important book to read not only because of the meaning, but because of the analytical tools that I developed from these discussions in class. By the third week I was able to understand what Dostoyevsky was trying to convey before we discussed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment