Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Final

I've always loved books that made me think so while I was reading Notes From the Underground, I enjoyed the challenge of deciphering what the narrator had to say. Although I hate doing it, annotating really helped out a lot to keep my thoughts in order and remember what my previous views were. It was exciting for me to vigorously go through this book and discover what he was revealing (even though I got it all wrong in the end) but I still found the whole process to be rather fun. 
Even though what I thought to be right wasn't exactly right, hearing the true explanation was interesting. I found the whole idea of how mankind is almost against survival law because we save the weak, to get into my mind and I couldn't stop thinking about it. I even talked to my father about it and he shared in the fascination of the concept with me. Of course there were other brilliant ideas presented by this book, such as truthfully trying to contemplate the vastness of the universe, or how religion is a way for humans to channel their inborn violent instincts towards something else. 
I think this book is important but I wouldn't have understood it thoroughly if we didn't discuss it first. If someone were just to read this book on their own and not really think or discuss it, it would have no value. I don't see how any normal person, especially a teenager like me, could understand this book fully without any complications. This book would have made no impact on me if not for the discussions. 

Now, with the discussions a guarantee for whoever reads this book, I completely believe that the story is something for everyone to read. Obviously, they should try to understand the book on their own first and THEN discuss it, so that they can open their minds, but at some point or another, they should discuss the ideas. I definitely enjoyed Notes From the Underground and the ideas presented to me probably won't ever be erased from my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment