Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Final Post

I really enjoyed reading this book because of the unique style in which it was written. Dostoyevsky's use of "stream-of-conciousness" writing made the reading interesting and fluid. Like many of the books we have studied this year, Notes From the Underground was like nothing I have ever read before. It also fit well with the lectures and general ideas we have been analyzing. Dostoyevsky put in writing what we all know and recognize to be true, and yet are afraid to acknowledge. I find myself thinking about his concepts outside of the classroom, and discussing them with my peers. Although there were mixed feelings about Notes From the Underground, I loved the fact that, regardless, it generated strong, passionate feelings in all of its readers. Whether one was revolted or captivated did not matter; what was interesting was the Dostoyevsky managed to get to all of us in some way. I feel this is a key characteristic of a masterpiece novel; it affects all readers to the core of their being.
This novel is relevant to almost all works of literature; in addition to its thought provoking messages are themes present in all successful story-lines. The idea of suffering, fear of the unknown, and the need to be seen are all core elements of a well-constructed character. If for no other reason, Notes For the Underground was worth reading for its literary value.
What I will probably remember most from this novel is the idea of "the wall". The more I thought about it, the more I saw walls built up all over society. They are, to reference The Sense of an Ending, massive holding pens. We spend our lives hoping that once we reach certain milestones, we will then be free. What we do not realize is that nothing changes and, while we are trying to access our distant freedom, our life has already begun passing us by.


No comments:

Post a Comment