Wednesday, February 5, 2014

wednesday

Wendell Pfeffer
2/5/14


            Today for the majority of the discussion we spoke about the concept behind Dostoyevsky’s notion of the wall. I use to think that the wall was a restriction that could not be surpassed. Dostoyevsky consciousness is his wall because he cannot choose one path or the other and is thus stuck. Even though I thought I had a good stance on the idea I actually didn’t. Shapiro’s lecture was something much different that actually made perfect sense to what he was talking about. He describes the wall as a limit we put ourselves to. One good example is religion – sadly religion promotes ignorance. The church does not allow us to question it and its views on society, the universe and how the earth was created. We thus limit ourselves because instead of thinking outside this realm, people only have their minds set on religion.  People are also so use to hearing what religion tells them that they cant accept something new and thus create a wall for themselves The church poses its authority by establishing if someone goes against them then they will go to hell. I for one am not religious nor do I believe in a god, but I am open to new interpretations – I believe that the new is always better than the old.  

No comments:

Post a Comment