Friday, February 7, 2014

Friday

I really enjoyed the discussion today. I thought we touched on some interesting issues concerning the role of society and religion. Looking closely at Dostoyevsky's metaphor of "the wall" shed some light on both the narrator and his principles. In part II, the character we have become acquainted with shifts his opinion from that of purely natural concerns to one which favors society and craves conformity. Perhaps the purpose part I serves is similar to that served by "the wall". Perhaps the narrator's theories about society being empty and meaningless are created only to justify his inferiority complex and inability to fit in. Personally, I tend to agree with most of the ideas conveyed in part I, but it is possible that they are empty excuses written by the narrator to serve as the "middle man" that steps in during a bar fight. I look forward to discussing more on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment