Saturday, January 25, 2014

Saturday Post

As I keep reading the novel I have noticed that it has taken on this very peculiar style of writing. Dostoyevsky has the main character rambling thoughts for an extended period of time. These thoughts however, are not fully pieced together. By that I mean that all these thoughts seem like they are being told to a diary and not a person, despite the fact that the main character often engages in "conversation" with the reader. It is almost as if the reader is not getting the entire story behind the main character. Many times I feel as if I am being left out of this conversation. I feel like the main character is having a conversation with someone that has already experienced whatever he is talking about so key details are left out. At the same time, my feeling of being left out could be attributed to my high level of confusion while reading this novel. I am not afraid to say that I do not really understand what is going on. I can grasp more or less what happens page by page, but I cannot seem to place it all together and connect it to any sort of social commentary. However, I do hope that as I read further I get a better understanding of what is going on.
-Talia Akerman

No comments:

Post a Comment