Monday, January 27, 2014

Monday post

I keep teeter-tottering back and forth with how I feel about the book so far. Some times I say to myself "This is genius." At other times, I throw the book out of frustration and just stop reading. To me, in part 1, Dostoyevsky is basically telling us that in order to truly be 'successful' and reach a point of full self-respect, that we must not be conscious (overthink). I've observed this in my life, and know that it is true. If you write to please readers, as if you are writing to a specific audience for example, you will not reach your true ideology or true potential as a writer. To write because YOU choose to write, to act because YOU choose to act throws out the idea of gaining a potential or gaining an 'advantage' because you've already reached a point of self respect in yourself and do not need the most advantageous advantage.

I started reading part 2 today. It's an easier read than part 1, but is still frustrating to the reader as he contradicts everything he promotes in part 1. I kind of get that vibe that he is a communist. He hints at rejecting enlightenment ideas. He references the creation of the encyclopedia in a negative way, and references Rousseau as a liar and not being true. I feel that he rejects the ideas of free market capitalism and free minds in the enlightenment as he actively wants everyone to live in equal property. He's also an egotistical a**hole, saying that all Russians are undoubtedly filled with no fools at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment