Monday, January 27, 2014

Monday Post


As Dostoyevsky continues on his seeming rant, I am beginning to see the true value in his work. Though I strongly disagree on many of his points, I do see how the rest of his ideas are spot on. I praise him for having the courage to talk openly about things that any people would feel uncomfortable admitting or discussing publicly. For example, his open discussion on how the laws of nature control human actions and his admittance that even though we see ourselves as “civilized”, we are not very different from our barbaric ancestors. He blatantly states that even the most “refined” modern man finds enjoyment in bloodshed. I agree with this thought, in fact there are many instances that come to mind where especially the most refined men find enjoyment in bloodshed. I did not really understand his idea that civilization causes the need for war, I do believe that civilization is a good thing and that war would still exist without it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment