Saturday, January 25, 2014

Second Reaction


            Although I think I understand the individual points that Dostoyevsky makes in each paragraph, I am finding it really difficult to analyze this work as a whole. In fact, I am not even confident in my analysis because Dostoyevsky questions everything that I thought was established and concrete in society. Last year, I took Ewen’s psychology class and studied theories and laws that are proven by extensive science and research and have been followed for decades. Yet, within 22 pages, Dostoyevsky destroys every conceived law of nature and leaves me with “free will.” Free will can solely exist by itself; it does not accept the influence of reasons and logic. In order to stay free, I can’t believe in the supernatural, fate, God, love, value or beauty. I have to act on desire without even knowing what it is that I desire. I have to isolate myself “underground,” remove all advantageous and disadvantageous distractions and reflect on my conscience. Yet (of course ANOTHER contradiction,) I will never act with direct purpose if I isolate myself underground and discover my self-identity. In the end, how does this work differ from all the other conspiracy theories? 

No comments:

Post a Comment