Monday, January 27, 2014

Monday blog

Wendell Pfeffer
1/27/14


            I have just started reading part II of Notes from Underground and although it is still difficult to understand it is much easier to read than part I. I don’t have to re read every sing paragraph for it to make some sense to me and for that I am happy. Although the writing styles from part I and II are different they are still similar in a multitude of ways. Dostoyevsky is creating a narrative based off the ideas he introduced in part I. It begins off with a man characterized as the writer who is rather small and afraid to take vengeance. Like stated in part I he envy’s normal men with acute consciousness because they have the courage to take revenge. Dostoyevsky in part II was putting this problem to action.  He would walk across the street and witness confrontations and wish he were the one doing the confronting. As a result he becomes tired of being the coward and decides to take action. He sees an officer who by the looks of it isn’t afraid of anyone and runs right past people as if they weren’t even there. Dostoyevsky knew this was his time to shine. He decides to run right into the officer. He hesitated at first but actually ended up doing it, which I ultimately thought he never would. Dostoyevsky finally overcame his fear of running into any sort of trouble and for that I applaud him. However, maybe this was just a made up incident that never happened to Dostoyevsky. Maybe just maybe he never had the courage to run into the officer in the first place. 

No comments:

Post a Comment