Sunday, January 26, 2014

Number 3

One of my next favorite quotes is about nature. “Nature does not ask you permission…and whether you like her laws or dislike them, you are bound to accept her as she is, and consequently all her conclusions”. Any laws that humans have, scientifically or mathematically, nature does not care either way. It makes you think if what we know is really substantial  or not. I know that two plus two equals four but that does not help me survive, or effect the grand scheme of things. I can determine a dog from a horse but nature does not care about being labeled or those categories because it will still act in the same manner.
The way Dostoyevsky write about walls interests me. Its almost a paradox because even though education is supposed to open our mind, it categorizes and puts boundaries or what we thing is correct or not. However, without education I would not be able to make that realization. In Anthropology we learned about how certain ethnotaxonomies define bats as a type of bird. They know the differences between the way we see a bat and a bird but its just another way of categorizing it, or another wall. It makes me think how truthful these manmade walls are, or if they really matter and are even worth a second thought. However natures laws cannot be disputed with.  

I am still not sure if I’m interpreting this book logically or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment