Friday, January 24, 2014

First Reaction

      When I first began to read Notes From The Underground, I immediatly saw a pattern in Fyodor Dostoevskys writing. In his book Crime and Punishment, the main character Raskolnikov struggles with his mental instability due to the present situation he is involved in. The first couple of pages of  Notes From the Underground consist of the narrarator explaining his own personal thoughts and his motifs behind them. The way Dostoevsky explains his thoughts is similar to Raskolnikovs thoughts throughout Crime and Punishment. His explanations are very scattered and it seems as if he is constantly getting distracted form overlapping thoughts. So far it has been very confusing to read, but I can see that Dostoevskys thought patterns are similar to what he incorporates into the fictional characters in his own works. I hope that as I continue to read on, his thoughts come together more clearly so I can get a better understanding of what he is truly trying to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment