Friday, January 24, 2014

First reaction

Notes From The Underground is a difficult yet amusing book to read since I have no idea of what unique theory or message the author is trying to convey next. He jumps from one point to the other, ranging from talking about toothaches, to feeling like rats, and to seeking revenge. It takes time to understand what he is trying to say, and at the end I do get a glimpse of understanding out of it, but have to admit that some points he conveys are strange.

For instance, when he talks about the difference of one who feels like a man and sees justice in revenge vs. one who feels like a rat and sees no justice in it, I get it, and I feel for the poor rat but what the point? And the point that he conveys that when one feels pain, the enjoyment he gets out of it is by inflicting pain or being a nuisance to others. I don't agree with it but do understand it may happen.

I look forward to reading and attempting to understand the crazy points he conveys in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment